Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thursday, November 5

Sitting at the bowling alley watching Dan bowl. We walked before coming, so it has been a good night so far. At least my legs are not in as much pain as they were before.

On Tuesday, I made a visit to the PT at the store In Step. This is where we purchased our shoes, because they take the time to fit shoes to make sure you get the correct type that will give the support needed. I met with the PT, he took the time to watch how I walked, he actually video tapped my walking on a tread mill. He also checked the calfs muscle stiffness to find out where I was having the pain. Even though I was stretching after the walks, the stretching I was doing was not enough and I was not doing the proper stretches. Then on he also suggested I use a foam roller that is used to work the calf muscles and loosen them up.

Using the foam roller also gives a upper body workout when working the back of the calfs and then it works the stomach muscles when working the front of the legs. Wow after two days, my stomach muscles hurt already. I might actually be able to get some stomach muscles back again.
During the appointment, the PT mentioned I had well developed calf muscles, but I was not bending my ankles when walking. If I did not get the muscles loose, I would continue to have pain and as I tried to walk faster, the pain would just get worse and I would not be able to walk or want to walk the marathon. Since I started doing this on Tuesday, walking has been bearable. The pain has lessened and I can get through the walk with a little less effort.

Training should get better as we start to get into longer walking times and miles. As well as training, we are still fundraising. We have two more events that have just come up. We are going to be planning a Christmas party for kids as a fundraiser. Then we are planning a joint birthday party for Scott and myself. This is also going to be a fundraiser as we celebrate Scott turning 27 and me turning 50. I am hoping we will get support from family and friends and they will come and celebrate with us.

No comments: