Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sunday, October 21

On Sunday, Dan, Erin, Mackenzie (grandaughter) and I traveled to Babcock, WI, to help some friends reconstruct a garage on their ranch (Jeremiah's Crossing). During the reconstruction, we were using a phone truck to help lift the sides of the garage. During one of the lifts a strap hook lost a piece. Dan and Roger were able to rig the hook for we could continue to move the walls and set them in place. Near the end, when trying to move the front wall out of the way, the wall got tangled in a tree and slipped out of the straps. Erin and I were below the wall guiding, so as the wall started to slip we both started to run as we watched the wall turn in the air and start to fall. Erin ran one way and as the wall shifted, it started to move the way she ran. To protect herself, she put her hands up and pushed the wall. Her pushing, actually settled the wall into place for it did not tip any further. Well that was the end of working on the garage for Erin. At this time, she decided to go and get the pony (Journey) out of the paddock and take him to the round pen for training. She worked with him for awhile, then Eli was showing her how to get him to move without the harness and trot around the round pen under his direction. Kathleen, then worked with him, then of course, since Dan and I committed to learn to train the horse, I attempted to work with Journey also. Then Roger stepped in and demonstrated some techniques in training Journey. With what Roger demonstrated, I was able to end on a good note in training Journey.

I know this is suppose to be about my training for the PF Chang marathon. The training of the horses has taught how important it is to keep training and bettering oneself it what they commit to do.

Finally, Erin, Mackenzie, Kathleen and I went for a walk on the property, back into the woods over some rough terrain. Even though this walk did not consist of many miles (only about two) it still helps in preparation for the marathon. I have always enjoyed walking in the woods and on trails. If I do another marathon, I may have to think about the one held in Anchorage, Alaska. I hear there is more nature during the marathon route.

No comments: