Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wednesday, October 24 - Story Time

Today is a rest day. That means I do not have to walk any set miles.

It has been fun when I talk to individuals about committing to a marathon. Many of the responses have been "You are going to run a marathon!" I reply, "No, I'm not a runner, I am walking it." They snicker and ask, "How far?" I reply, "26.2 miles." Then the statement comes, "You are only walking it?" Some of you who have done a marathon, know that you are not only walking it. Walking takes as much commitment and training as running. It has been interesting hearing the different responses and the conversations this brings around. Just recently, a co-worker asked if I remembered the "Hunger Walk" we used to do as kids. Where we would walk 30 miles, carry backpacks, stop for lunch and take all day to walk the route. We discussed how we used to walk that barefoot, in sandals and the worst we ever came back with was blisters. What a memory.

When I decided to train for the marathon, I sent an e-mail to family and friends. My brother, Don IM's me and lets me know he forwarded my e-mail to everyone in the company he works for. I was surprised, but grateful. I asked him if he introduced me when sent out the e-mail. Sure he says and he sent me a copy of the e-mail. It was great... His introduction was, "Brenda is my youngest sister. If anyone would like to send in a couple bucks towards her goal, I would be mighty grateful. thanks." This just made me smile. Thanks Don, since I know you are critiquing my blogging.

No comments: