Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Saturday, December 15

Today is the day. It is the test, can we make the long haul. It is 18-20 miles. We have decided to meet at the Petit Center, since it is snowing again. 18 miles is 63 laps around the ice rink. At least in the Petit Center, there are other things going on. There is speed skating, hockey game, and figure skating going on.

Karen, Beth, Lori, Khris and myself have all met to start our walking together. There is no way we will all stay together for the entire walk since we walk at different paces. Khris is not feeling well, so she is taking it easy. Karen is coming in and out to have the opportunity to walk with each of us for a lap or two. Karen brought a clicker with her and Dan gave me a counter that he used for baseball umpiring to keep track of laps. My counter only went up to 19, so I had to reset and keep track of where I was.

Lori (she is one of our mentors) left early, she was not feeling well either and her training for Anchorage, Alaska does not officially start until February, so she needs to be healthy. Beth finished her 11 miles, Khris, with not feeling well, only did 11 miles. Karen left when Beth did, so I was the last to leave and to complete the 18 miles. I wish I had my MP3 player with me right now. But, it still sent quickly with watching figure skating lessons and hockey training.

It is definitely more difficult to walk this many miles in an oval. It is harder on the legs, hips and muscles. Definitely more stretching has to be done during the walk and after the walk. Next weekend, it is 16 miles.

Even though, many times I finish on my own, I would not give up this training. I do enjoy the walking and having a few purposes for the training. With this marathon, I will be making a difference in someone's life.

No comments: