Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Saturday, December 1

Today, I met with some of the others from the team. The full marathon individuals had to walk 14 miles. This is the longest that we have done so far. Before we started, we decided to get a photo of the 3 of us, Khris (full marathon), Karen (coach) and myself. Karen walked with us for most of the miles, but because she was ill earlier, she did not walk the full 14 miles with Khris and myself.

Once Karen left, Khris and I were on our own. This was definitely a chilly day and we also wanted to finish the walk because we were due to get snow. Khris and I finished before the snow started. We met up at the end with two runners and as we were talking and stretching it started to snow. I left quickly because I had to head up to Mequon where Erin was playing in an alumni basketball game (I was already late) and I was picking up Mackenzie to take her to a Christmas party and to see Santa. I now have Mackenzie and it is snowing harder, I was taking it easy, there were already a few spinouts and an accident. I am down on the south side of Milwaukee, where the freeway splits to go south towards the airport and west. I was about one mile from the exit where I needed to get off, when a car slows down to get behind a semi-truck. I decided to move over ( was only going 25 mph, as it was), as I moved over, my car fish tailed out of control and I went off the road. Mackenzie slept through the whole incident, but it was scary. The thoughts that went through my mind is that I have new tires and I do not want the car to flip, I was on a grassy slope. Neither of us were hurt, I was more shaken up, Mackenzie had no idea what was happening.

After 3 hours of Dan and his mom waiting with me on the side of the road (in Dan's van), and a police officer waiting behind us to make sure the tow truck he called showed up, I was finally pulled off the grassy slope. When I started to drive the car to the nearest exit, the car would not get any traction. The car continued to slide when traveling 5-10 mph. We finally made it to the destination and then home.

I found out later that the tires that were put on my car are not tires for snow. I called the dealership that put the tires on my car, after about a week, they decided to check out the tires and confirmed what I have been telling them that the tires were bad. Now I am waiting for new tires.

No comments: