Monday, October 26, 2009

Group Training

On Saturday, October 24, we had our first group walk. Our coach Jen planned out a walk in the Wauwatosa area which was approximately 4 miles. Jackie, Dan, Jen and myself all particpated in this walk. We were missing two. We started out together as Jen discussed attire to wear during the walks and being prepared for the weather.

We met at 7:00 a.m and the morning was cold. This was a good day to experiment with how many layers may be needed as the weather gets colder as we progress through the training. After a little bit, Dan and I went out in front as Jen walked with Jackie. The one thing about the training, everyone walks at different paces, so it is an opportunity to pair up with someone else and get to know others on the team.

As Dan and I walked, Dan was keeping his hands up in his sleeves, his hands were cold (and he did not bring any gloves). Being the good wife, I gave him my gloves. This helped him not to be so tense while walking. Now, you may be thinking that my hands are cold. Always have a backup plan. One of my layers had sleeves with a cuff/mitt that folds over the hands. I was good.

Even though Dan and I walk hills during our training during the week, there was one hill that gave a little more challenge. Even Dan complained his shins hurt. Dan and I finished about 15 minutes earlier than Jackie and Jen. As we waited for them, it gave us the opportunity to stretch. I really noticed at this time my hamstrings were tight. It was a good morning of training.

It has been fun and exciting to be able to train with Dan. It has a different feeling doing this together, totally different from when I trained in 2007/2008 for the Rock n Roll Marathon in Phoenix.

No comments: